Blind Dating – Pros and Cons
A lot of people tend to look online for their soul mates. Some, very lucky ones actually manage to find someone. There is a growing trend of blind dating. It could be somebody from the internet, somebody your friend set you up with or a fix up from the dating company.
There is always a debate on whether the whole blind dating system works. Most people consider it high risk – high reward dating style.
Pros of blind dating
- You get to meet new people. It is obviously not a given that both people might love each other completely. But often, you can end up as good friends or acquaintances. It is good for networking and socializing as well.
- You might meet someone you really have a connection with. Maybe you can also find the ‘love’ of your life, while on a blind date. If your date is set up by your friends or family, then they probably know that the person has some good qualities which will make you bond with them. ( Check out: Being a Casanova – Pros and Cons
- It adds up in your ‘experience list’. Everyone has a bucket list, and one of the things should be turning up for a blind date. No matter how your date goes, you will always remember that experience. It always makes up for a good story to share with your friends and family. Life is too short to over think and over plan. Doing something crazy or weird is still in vogue. And always remember, crazy things and ‘not normal’ things usually make for the best memories.
- If you are shy or conservative, this is probably the best way for you to get a head-start into the dating life. It makes you more open minded and a better talker. You don’t have to fear confrontation or asking someone out in real. It is mutual and often involves low level of commitment.
- You have got nothing to lose when it comes to blind dates. Either it will work or it may not, but you wouldn’t have to bear with seeing the person every day or fearing loss of reputation. This is a completely different set up. Usually when dating someone you know, it can be quite consuming and addictive. You have to think about your common friends and that person’s interpretation of you. Here, you don’t know the person as it is, so it doesn’t matter much what they might think of you. For you may never meet them again.
Cons of blind dating
- Your date might not be what you expected him or her to be. They may not be very attractive and that could be a major turn off for some people. If you are looking to date a stud or a damsel, blind dating is absolutely not your cup of tea.
- It can be difficult to say ‘no’ to a next outing, if your date asks you for one. They may think that you judged them or probably disliked them too much to care for another outing. It can result in considerable awkwardness.
- You might get stood up. And there is always the disturbing thought that perhaps that your date came, saw you and left. This can be very disrespectful and often results in loss of self esteem.
- The person might turn out to be attractive but creepy or weird. Sometimes you encounter people who are completely different than you. Other times you might meet people who make you wonder, why did you come to the date in the first place.
- If you have given up on a movie with your friends and come for this blind date, and he is incredibly boring, it can be unbearable. It is difficult to sustain such a date and often you need exit strategies to get out of a boring date.
- Read here: Dating best friends – Pros and Cons
What are your thoughts on blind dating? Keep us posted in the comments section.