20 Ways to become a Better Sister
Do you only see your younger brothers or sisters during Thanksgiving or Christmas? Is this your definition of sibling love? Well, if so, you really need to read this post. Being a great sister will help your sibling deal with bigger troubles of life and they might not depend on friends that much. Sisters usually tend to get bossy and dominating, especially if they are the elder one. But you can turn it around, and set an example for all the other sisters in the world. As they say, a sister is the first girl friend that a boy makes in his life.
Let’s see a few ways of becoming a better sister to your siblings!
If you are the elder sister
- Remember that you were once young too. You need to give your younger sibling their space and not dominate them each time. Don’t bully them! Check out: 10 Ways Your Friends Know You Better Than You Know Yourself
- Pampering your little sibling too much will make them spoilt and bratty. So give them the right amount of love and affection without going overboard.
- Share your experiences with your younger siblings. This will make you both friendlier as well as teach them how to or not to do things.
- Don’t do your younger brother’s homework. But assist him or give him all the guidance he requires. Don’t spoon-feed him.
- Don’t go telling on your little siblings to your parents. This will make them trust you less and less. Eventually they will stop sharing their secrets with you.
- Teach your younger sibling about your family tree and how your family works. Tell him or her about their responsibilities and relation with other relatives.
- Be a good role model for your younger sister. Don’t be slouchy and expect her to be all good. She will learn by seeing you. Also read: Here are 8 ways to inspire unmotivated friends and family members
- Help your younger sibling with finances if they aren’t getting enough pocket money. But tell them they have to repay you later. This will help them with managing themselves.
- Spend enough time with your younger siblings. Be friendly with their friends and make it a point to catch a movie together or enjoy shopping together once in a while.
- Share your stuff with them. If you act all possessive, they too will become demanding and arrogant. Don’t give your video game to them, but let them play with it once in a while.
If you are the younger sister
- Chances are that your elder sibling is very protective about you especially, if it is a big brother. Don’t take it negatively. Just think of it as their love and affection for you.
- Don’t peek into your elder sibling’s personal stuff like phone. This can be quite annoying to them.
- Don’t start shouting or screaming if you have a fight with your elder sibling. Try to sort it out between you both, rather than taking it to your parents always.
- Learn as much as you can from them, from their good points as well as the negative points. You see a live example of someone growing in front of you, so close to you. Make the most of it.
- Don’t ignore them. This will hurt them. Hear them out even if you don’t agree with what they have to say.
- Always respect them. This will make them care for you more and more.
- Share your secrets with them. They might be able to help you out better than your parents or friends.
- Don’t compare yourself to your elder sister, in good way or the bad way. She is a different person and you are a different person.
- Don’t be a brat and keep demanding for more and more things. If your elder sister got a new dress, doesn’t mean you will get one too. Probably she has scored really well in her class. You will get your chance as well.
- Try to spend time with your elder siblings. They might be strict but they can be very cool too, if you are good with them.
What kind of bond do you share with your siblings? Share with us in the comments section.